Yeah, I know, it's a cliche! But really, if I hadn't double checked my measurements, I would have wasted two yards of fabric and been stranded halfway through a project with no blinds on my kitchen door.
It all started on Pinterest! I searched "DIY Curtains" and found several tutorials on how to make Roman shades out of mini-blinds and fabric. I used this one, and this one, and this one.
Here's before, no color, just plain white mini-blinds (valance on the right made by my lovely sister!):
And after, the Roman shade is wonderful!
The fabric for the Roman shade is the same as the ties on the valance to the right...I like for things to match but not be identical.
And when they're pulled up, you can see the smoker where my husband makes the best smoked brisket EVER. :)
The lesson: I was about to sew the hems on the sides (I did not do "no sew") when a small voice said, "You should make sure you measured correctly." I put one of the slats from the mini-blinds up to the fabric and it was a quarter inch too short! Thankfully, I had only done the ironing of the hems and was able to re-iron and then sew properly!